Sunday, June 2, 2013

Chapter 12- New beginnings







**************************************************



It had been a few months since the incident with Renee, the nightmare still haunting me but not quite as much as they used to. Tonight in particular had been a bad one for nightmares as I stifled a scream sitting up in bed. My hand went to my throat immediately checking for blood, I had a habit of waking from the nightmares right about the time she had cut my throat. I relaxed slightly feeling only my raised scar and no red liquid.


Today was going to be a busy day, the fact that I was only going to get an hour or two of sleep was not going to help my case with 8 kids moving around. I couldn't believe I was already at 25 kids. I also couldn't believe what a horrible mom I had been these past few months. I was not trying to neglect my children; I had been in a daze and was just trying to get by myself. There were times yet again I thought of throwing in the towel and stopping this whole thing.



The sun peeked early over the horizon of Starlight Shores. Glancing around my room was still a weird sight for me, everything gone or a few boxes left behind to still be packed. My mind drifted, I was thankful that this whole fiasco happened towards the end of the school year for the kids. The only reason we were not moving sooner was so that they could finish their school year out instead of leaving with only a couple months left. School had been out for the last 2 weeks and they had started their goodbyes to their friends.


I needed some fresh air. Pulling on a tank top and jeans, I headed down the stairs quietly, I did not want to wake the kids just yet. My feet continued to carry me as I found myself running down the sidewalk away from the house. Thankfully the triplets had their birthdays last week and could take care of the younger ones in my short absence.


I kept running, air heavy flowing through my lungs. I ran until I found myself collapsing on the beach, I could hear the seagulls all around me. I tried to catch my breath as tears stung my eyes. Was I making the right choice in moving? Would Rene find me again anyway and finish the job?

*******************************************



Aria had met me at the park; we had both been looking at houses that were for sale in Riverview for me to possibly purchase. I had been out to see her a bit since the incident, or even just to visit Riverview. “Ready to go see a few houses?” Aria asked smiling at me. “I found a few that I think you might like.” “Ready as I will ever be” I said forcing a smile back. It had been only a few weeks from the incident that Aria and I had talked about me moving to Riverview. It would be easier for both of us to know that each other were safe and I knew she was worried about Rene finding me out in Starlight Shores.


We started our search, a few houses here and a few houses there. One of them reminded me too much of Rene’s house and about sent me into a panic. Aria suggested we take a break and get something for lunch after that. Sitting at a restaurant I poked at my food attempting to eat a bit of it. I could feel Aria giving me that look, one I knew too well these last couple weeks. Trying to please her I forked a full size bite into my mouth and chewed it up. Glancing to the left I noticed a paper crumpled on the ground, only the words “For Sale” were noticeable on it. Reaching down I picked it up and uncrumpled it in my lap. A gorgeous Victorian style home was spread across the page. “I know where we are going next.” I smiled holding the paper up for Aria to see, I was a sucker for Victorian style houses. 


The trip had been a success and I had fallen in love with the house when I first laid eyes on it. Finding the house had definitely perked my mood and the fact it was in my price range. I had driven Aria and I back to the park where her car was waiting. 



“Do you think our rent a cop friend would mind keeping watch on my new house the first couple days I moved here?” I smiled and nudged my sister with my elbow. It was still too funny to think that Carter, our best friend growing up, had become a cop. We gave him hell for it any chance we could. 

“That depends; do you really want him to be the one to catch the bad guys for you? Do you think his handcuffs and baton are even real?” Aria tossed back with a laugh. 

“I think being a cop is his cover, what if Carter is really a stripper and he dresses as a cop for his entertainment.” My devilish grin showing. 

“Carter… strip?” Aria’s eyebrow rose as she tried to contain herself. “Please, I bet he found the costume at a Halloween shop and just likes to wear it every day.” 

With that we both fell into a fit of laughter. Poor Carter, he was always being made fun of at our expense.
******************************************



The rest of the boxes had been packed up and put into the U-Haul truck as we all made our way to the new home. I was excited for the kids to see it and hoped they loved it as much as I did. It still needed some remodeling but for now it was perfect and new. A new start. Everyone’s faces lit up when we pulled up to the house. I could hear my oldest kids complaining that they didn't get to live there. They were all going to head out and start their own adventure into life, but had been amazing enough to help me unpack. ---- I gave birth to another set of quads a couple months later. With everything going on in my life and the fact I was still very self-conscious about my scar I had again opted for donor sperm to provide my babies for me. I had not been picky these last couple times and I was once again blessed with children. I was starting to wonder about the unusual skin tones of some of the kids, apparently they had some interesting genetics. All I cared was that they were happy and healthy and mine to love.



******************************************************







No comments:

Post a Comment